Well I just got done reading some of Lord of The Flies by William Golding, and I am really confused. To start it off, the boys are stranded on the island because they were on a plane that crashed. The plane is no were to be seen and the only survivors are a group of school boys and a group of choir boys. It gets worse. There are no adults anywhere on the island and the choir boys all have knives. What kind of choir walks around with knives? unless they are going to some sketchy neighborhood in Detroit or something(no offense Detroit) then there is no reason for this. not to mention, how did they get on a plane with knives when they wont even let you get on a plane with a melted ice pack. Yes that has actually happened to me. Its OK when its frozen but if its melted, well, that's just a big no no. What do they think I'm going to do with it, drink it? Oh right, the book. Well anyway its good they have knives because that could be useful for survival. I mean I'm probably over analyzing the knife thing but hey, that's what I do. Anyway you are probably sick of listening to me go off on random tangents about airport security so lets just dive in, head first into a summary. People like summaries right? Consider it my version of Spark Notes. Jake Notes. No that is awful. Oh how about Jake's incredibly manly lumberjack summaries. Ya that's good.
Anyway it starts off with this boy named Ralph walking through the jungle. specifically the big gouge the plane crash made in it. He is walking along towards the beach until he sees a rustle in the jungle. It turns out to be a non-stop talking, asthmatic, plump kid who the group calls Piggy. Piggy and Ralph start talking to each other(although it is mainly just Ralph ignoring Piggy's incoherent jabbering) until they find a conch shell. Ralph picks it up and blows it like a horn. all the other boys on the island come running including the choir boys and the leader Jack. They get along and they decide to decide a chief. Jack instantly tries to claim this position but the other kids decide to vote. All of the choir boys vote for Jack and all the rest vote for Ralph, making Ralph the leader. This is about were I ended so, uh ya. That about wraps up this blog. Feel free to check out this link to the author's website. I'm sure you will find lots of great books to read.William Golding's Website
Lord of the Flies really is a good book, but it can be confusing at times. The rest of the book essentially is Ralph's organized society with Piggy as his adviser vs Jack's group of "savages" who become paranoid about the island. Ralph is a natural leader and initially manages to get the group together. Piggy is the voice of reason and believes that thinking scientifically will get them out of the mess. On the other hand, Jack convinces the kids that the island is haunted and manages to turn many of Ralph's supporters to his side. The ending is pretty disappointing for such a good book up to that point. I won't spoil it for you, but one of the characters meets an unfortunate end while the rest are rescued by an authority figure.
ReplyDelete